Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Julie&Julia kick... Tired of the same ole meals


I loved the idea to this movie. Although I love Stanley Tucci and Meryl Streep the movie itself was a little disappointing.  This is not a post about a movie review though so moving on.  


I've been on a new recipe cooking mood and it's been wonderful.  I absolutely love cooking.  Cooking has always been one of those things that can bring my spirits up when I'm having a bad day.  Even if I'm slaving in the hot kitchen, piling up dishes and pans I know I'm going to have to clean later, I still love it.  It's the one thing I know I'm good at.  If I have a recipe and I can get all the ingredients and the tools I need, I can cook it.  


So, now that I don't have volleyball taking up my evening hours I have more time to prep dinner instead of throwing the same old chicken in the oven.  I love trying new recipes, so I was thinking if I could do my own little Julie/Julia project.  Of course I can't do it every night like Julie did in the movie because I do still have five kids.  However, those five kids and the hubby have to eat, so if I'm going to be busy with something it might as well be something they can eat! 


Two nights ago I tried a new meatloaf recipe.  I was rushing through a little bit and didn't season it as well as I wanted. But the meatloaf is gone, so it must have been good.  I tried this recipe last night and it was a big hit!  Even my oldest son, who hates any kind of food if it's not sweet, from a cereal box, or ramen noodles, ate it.  He ate a small serving, but he ate it.  My sister and I broke out a little white wine to go with it, and it was divine! 


Eight Layer Spinach Casserole
Click on the link for the recipe.  


*Note* I used penne pasta instead of egg noodles, and ground turkey instead of ground beef.  
Today I'm making stuffed pork chops.  Got to get to cookin'! 



No comments:

Post a Comment